Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

I think we need to get a jump on this, so those people who have to plan ahead to purchase one can do so.

Let us discuss and then lockdown a pattern/design, get it priced out and ordered. Buying a knife around the winter holidays is difficult for everyone.

My vote is for a jack/mtnman/barlow-esque pattern Large (or Medium)

Stag/Bone/Burl wood

One/two blades

I would prefer Carbon blades, but an exotic SS is fine.

Views: 4480

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Yes Brad and I am also going to ask AG Russell and staff to take a look at this discussion and see if they have anything that may fit 

Anyone else know a maker they want to have read it?  Pass it on

I am one of the few that collects, fixed blades. I know there is alot of collectors that favor this pattern but the majority, collect folders, of one kind or another. I am sure that a club knife in a fixed blade would be hard to sell. The club knives that I buy, are for my collection. I plan on, not useing them, but alot of the members that purchase one, may want to use them. Hey, thats what they make them for...Ha, Ha... We have a great bunch of makers that Miss Jan can get to produce our knives. I will buy one for my collection, no matter what pattern, ya'll pick. The members that want one for it's ability to be used as a EDC, only. The collectors will enjoy this, also. I am just, talking and giving my opinion. I want to hear, more of what, ya'll have to say....

Thank you for the response, Jan.  I appreciate folks that enjoy keeping our world organized for camaraderie or fun or productivity--all positives. I started and am back on a East TN farm--USAF SERE/Pararescue & Park Ranger LE between, I started collecting Puma in Germany and have a farm work set a Vet clinic work set and a few sport carries.  I plan a future project to build some display cases for the rest.  And a special one for each of my Grandsons to learn to respect the blade and appreciate the craftsmanship--like my Grandad did.  A really good tool can be beautiful as well as useful.  I try for that combination in charity handrails for churches or even older folk than me who might need one.  I'll make one last entry at the end of the string.  Again, thanks--to you and all at the front page, bottom left.  f

Jan Carter said:

Jeff I would very much like to see that.

No offense taken Frank.  HI, my name is Jan and yes I am the owner.  We do have a manager, his name is Steve Hanner.  We seem to have made  missed meeting you.  I am sorry, I try not to do that.  If you look at the bottom left of the front page of IKC you will see our wonderful staff members.  Without them and the members we have here, iKC would be a lonely place to show off knives

I am very happy that we have so many folks talking this out.  It does give me a much better idea of what discussions to have with manufactures.  Looks like I need a meeting with Ken Daniels at the Dalton show

Here's one last plug for the assisted opening--it can come in just really important in a tight place--like maybe a rock face. I know that autos are often illegal, but someone said that lockbacks are somewhere illegal--is that true? Where?  That's a safety feature.  There's a desk driving politician somewhere maybe who never did any honest work, but anyway, never had a blade close on his fingers. If I can't stir assisted opening interest, here's a vote on the others I've seen proposed or looked up:

First choice-the Queen/Schatt & Morgan/Daniels New age--that's a proper club choice Sunday dress knife, and they only planning a hundred. If we can get them to run another 100 with the club stamp on a shield or bolster--and buy the entire run, we have a classy knife that will increase in value really fast.

Second choice-the Carvin' Jack or Whittlin' Jack--we should get a really good price on quantity on that one

Third choice-the Schatt & Morgan that Jan pictured--was it a Baby Sunfish?

Fourth & still a good choice--the Mt Man or that Qtip (close?)-either with STAG or BURL !!

Thanks for listening.  Frank

Hold on guys and gals, this is a world wide club. We need to be a little more sensitive, about knives made in other countries. I can understand that some members, born in the USA, are proud of the knives made here. We are an international club and I am sure the members from countries other than the USA, are just as proud of their knives as we are. We all know, that there are cheaply made knives from one country or another. Yep, I'll bet there's some cheap ones made in the USA. It's great to be proud of the country, you are from but, we can't as "Americans" run down all knives from other countries. I hope, I didn't upset anyone. This is a "Discussion", so lets hear others opinion.

Frank, Lockbacks are illegal in the UK if you're not carrying them for a legitimate reason (like for work) and they're also illegal in Germany if they're also one hand openers. (Once again without legal reason).

If someone needs the safety feature for work then they're allowed.

frank (nibs) dorman said:

Here's one last plug for the assisted opening--it can come in just really important in a tight place--like maybe a rock face. I know that autos are often illegal, but someone said that lockbacks are somewhere illegal--is that true? Where?  That's a safety feature.  There's a desk driving politician somewhere maybe who never did any honest work, but anyway, never had a blade close on his fingers. If I can't stir assisted opening interest, here's a vote on the others I've seen proposed or looked up:

First choice-the Queen/Schatt & Morgan/Daniels New age--that's a proper club choice Sunday dress knife, and they only planning a hundred. If we can get them to run another 100 with the club stamp on a shield or bolster--and buy the entire run, we have a classy knife that will increase in value really fast.

Second choice-the Carvin' Jack or Whittlin' Jack--we should get a really good price on quantity on that one

Fourth & still a good choice--the Mt Man or that Qtip (close?)-either with STAG or BURL !!

that baby winterbottom sunfish will be mine one day!!!!!!!....that one was bidded one but eluded me!!!....lololol

frank its good to meet ya as well bro!!!!!!!!!1

Thank you for the response, Jan.  I appreciate folks that enjoy keeping our world organized for camaraderie or fun or productivity--all positives. I started and am back on a East TN farm--USAF SERE/Pararescue & Park Ranger LE between, I started collecting Puma in Germany and have a farm work set a Vet clinic work set and a few sport carries.  I plan a future project to build some display cases for the rest.  And a special one for each of my Grandsons to learn to respect the blade and appreciate the craftsmanship--like my Grandad did.  A really good tool can be beautiful as well as useful.  I try for that combination in charity handrails for churches or even older folk than me who might need one.  I'll make one last entry at the end of the string.  Again, thanks--to you and all at the front page, bottom left.  f

Jan Carter said:

Jeff I would very much like to see that.

No offense taken Frank.  HI, my name is Jan and yes I am the owner.  We do have a manager, his name is Steve Hanner.  We seem to have made  missed meeting you.  I am sorry, I try not to do that.  If you look at the bottom left of the front page of IKC you will see our wonderful staff members.  Without them and the members we have here, iKC would be a lonely place to show off knives

I am very happy that we have so many folks talking this out.  It does give me a much better idea of what discussions to have with manufactures.  Looks like I need a meeting with Ken Daniels at the Dalton show

like i have said the time to talk aboutthe 2013 knife is in 20011-2012....great little write up thank you!

National Knife Museum said:

The Remington Stag handled Norfolk Whittler I reffered to yesterday.  Coupld use bone, wood or any handle material.  I found a used one of these at a flea market and have found many great uses for each of the 3 different blades.

National Knife Museum said:

There are many good points to consider here…

Automatics are nice; personally I find spring assisted openers an even better choice though personally as I carry a first release SOG Topo-Meridian every day. That being said though there is something about a good old fashion whittler pattern such as a Norfolk whittler (the one foremost on my mind was a Remington) with a simple jigged bone handle and a main blade that locks (I will find a picture and post it later).

On the fixed blade front...historically fixed blades have not been the top choice for club knives for a multitude of reasons yet no one specific reason to be found. I personally enjoy a good fixed blade and have fond memories of learning Mumblty peg with my Grandfather with a fixed blade kinfolks clip point and I never leave home without my Camillus MK II with custom added Eagle, Globe and Anchor from my the uniform I wore attached to the hilt.

Yet another area to consider though may be a straight razor or perhaps a piece of quality usable kitchen type cutlery...maybe like a cleaver, paring knife or chefs type knife or depending on the manufacture a santoku is a popular kitchen design. They can be found in Carbon steel, Stainless, ceramic, Damascus...well you all know the options.

And yet another option to consider might be a multi tool. With today’s "survival" climate a useful, well thought, versatile, rugged, dependable multi tool might be a spiffy thought.

As for the "Is it too soon" question, I don’t think so at all...In fact I know of two clubs that already have the annual club knife in production already.

EBAY "vinatge gerber USA".. find awesome TACS!

Jean-François said:

Not a primordial (or "clanical") question for me, but I would rather say "medium to heavy duty" too. A Q-Tac could do it.

Brad T. said:

Here is a survey question within a survey post.

How many want a knife for light to Medium duty use?

How many want a knife for Medium to heavy duty use?

I for one, am of the "medium to heavy duty" clan. I would like to EDC something other than a tactical from BM, Spyderco & Kershaw.

one day 1 of the 100 of these will be mine!!...LOLOLLOLOOL.. i was actually biddin on this baby!...gorgeous isnt she!

Jean-François said:

Beautiful and - of course - very well made, these Baby Sunfish S&M knives!

Jan Carter said:

you know, yesterday I too was just looking at some patterns.  I found this and thought I would share it

RSS

White River Knives

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service